Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Halfway and still going strong!

  I have been taking a lot of pictures during my time here in Springs, but I have not shown too many of them yet. And I would like to share another post because it has been several days now since my last one, but I do not have the energy to write too much. So, I figured it would be best just to post some pictures that I have been wanting to show. Enjoy!

Serving the kids their lunches
The usual dishwashing crew
  So, I taught the kids baseball last week. They had never heard of it before. The only person who did know what baseball is was my friend David because he had played it on a team when he was little. I taught the kids how to stand at the plate and hit the ball, and David explained most of the rules in Zulu.

David trying to explain these strange rules
Our designated pitcher



I went on a home visit with Aunty Betty (on the right)
and we took this picture with some of the residents

Aunty Betty and I also visited a daycare in the community (they call it a 'crash')

  During the day before the kids get to the site, I often play games with the workers after they have finished all their work in the morning. The only problem is that sometimes they are so active in playing the games that they do not have as much energy to play with the kids in the afternoon.

This game is called 'fruit salad.' It is similar to 'move your butt.'

Some of the Care Workers at St. Martins
  This past Sunday I went to the art/music district of Johannesburg. I cannot remember what the area was called because it is a Sotho word. It was a very nice part of the city. There were people from all over the country from different backgrounds. I really enjoyed seeing the many booths making food to order and all the artwork and souvenirs being sold on the streets. I was also glad to be take to another part of the province I am staying in because I got to see a very different way of life. It is difficult to understand South Africa as a whole when I am witnessing the same things in Springs all the time.


The pulled port sandwich on the right was delicious. In Zulu, we say it was 'umnandi.'
  


Some other pictures from the St. Martin site 







JW

4 comments:

  1. Love all the pictures. Looks like you're having a great time!!
    -Megan Onyundo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Jake! I love these pictures. Cannot wait to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures and your posts are awesome! I'm just catching up on all your adventures through your posts and find myself sitting here smiling. What a truly awesome adventure. You went there to give and to serve and I bet instead - that you have learned and been inspired by the South Africans more. This is truly a life changing experience for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you guys! I am glad you have enjoyed reading them so much. It has been an amazing and very eyeopening trip, probably more so than I actually realize right now. I often find myself thinking about when my next visit will be. I hope that I will keep in touch with the people I have met here.

    ReplyDelete