Saturday, June 17, 2017

I'm Sort of a Celebrity Now

  I did not include in yesterdays post the events from Wednesday. One of the friars living in the house, Fr. Brian, manages a Catholic radio station in Johannesburg called Radio Veritas. Founded and still operated by a Dominican named Fr. Emil, the radio is a platform for evangelization including programs such as daily mass, both intrafaith and interfaith discussions, and other local news. I was fortunate enough to get a tour with Fr. Brian of the station and meet the many people who make it all happen. I even got to do the reading during mass on the air. The station is made of radio hosts, producers, marketers, financial advisers, etc. As I was speaking to a woman who is responsible programming on the air, she thought that it would be suiting to interview me during the week leading up to Youth Day about my role in helping with the St. Martin de Porres Development Project. I was honored and very excited to not only be able to share my own perspectives on the organization, but to market the project to a wider audience. I hope that listeners got a sense of the motivation of the project and the outstanding work that we do at the plot. If you would like to listen to my moment of fame on Radio Veritas, click on the link below to view the podcast. My Interview with Fr. Emil



I would also like to mention that Radio Veritas is financed completely by donations. They need about $50,000 per month just to run the station. If you would like to donate to keep the radio going, it would be much appreciated. You can donate on the right hand side of the screen if you click on this link to their website. Donate to Radio Veritas

As I mentioned previously, today is Youth Day, a national holiday celebrated all over South Africa. I was looking forward to celebrating today with the children at the St. Martins site, but the water is still not working. Fortunately, I was able to come to Fr. Marks parish in Kwa Thema. I played soccer and other games with the youth following a meeting they organized with Fr. Mark to address ways to increase the presence of youth in the church community. Lunch was also served at the church for everyone in attendance. After the festivities were over, I gave the kids Rosaries that were donated by the campus ministry at Providence College and blessed by our Chaplain. The children really enjoyed and appreciated the gift not only as a way to remember me but also to use in their prayer. 

Playing soccer with the kids in Kwa Thema


This is Lethokuhle. She is 9 years old and wants to be a pilot.
Tomorrow morning I leave for Cape Town. I hope my small vacation to another part of the country is enlightening as much as it is relaxing. Stay tuned for those pictures. 

JW

No comments:

Post a Comment